Sunday, February 5, 2023

#10: Fright Night (1985)

So, funny story to start this blog off. I have never watched the original 1985 movie Fright Night before my recent viewing. Yet, I was aware of the movie's story beats. See, in 2011, in the still yonder days of Youtube, I was a frequent watcher of the Youtube account Legolambs. Comprised of John and Al Kaplan, the duo released musical parodies of 80s films. Perhaps the most famous one being Predator: The Musical. But the one that always stuck with me was Fright Night: The Musical. Now, I was aware of the original movie and this was just around the time the remake was released. So even watching this would spoil a 26 year old film for me, but I figured, heck with it. I think of all the musical parodies, this one (and the Rocky IV one) stuck with me ever since. Yet, I still took over another decade to sit down and watch the film. And what did I think of it? I liked it. Is it my favorite movie I've covered so far? Probably not. But did I still enjoy it? Oh, definitely.


Directed and written by Tom Holland (no not that one because unless he was a freaking time lord that ain't feasible), the movie was built out of the concept of a story about a teenager having to deal with a vampire next door and how he could possibly be able to stop it. Trust me, after reading enough R.L. Stine books, I could probably whip up a mediocre enough formula to make that work, though there would definitely be dead animals in it. But to make the movie truly work there needed to be an added layer. Both in the film being a love letter to classic horror as well as the classic fright night TV hosts of the era. The Elviras, the Svengoolies, you get the drift. And thus the movie becomes just as much about the arc of a horror movie star turned horror host turned real vampire killer as it is about the love story involving the actual protagonist.

The plot sees teenager Charley Brewster (William Ragsdale) concerned when he begins to see strange happenings in the house next door. All involving Jerry Dandridge (Chris Sarandon), the mysterious new owner of the house. A coffin being put in the basement, women arriving then seemingly being killed. And unfortunately for Charley, he gets caught by Dandridge, who is now out to kill him. When nobody else believes him, Charley foolishly believes that former movie star and host of the Fright Night movie show Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowell) actually is a great vampire killer who can help him out. Dragged into this as well is Charley's girlfriend Amy (Amanda Bearse) and their sorta-friend I guess Ed "Evil Ed" Thompson, the latter ending up becoming a vampire himself at the hands of Dandridge. After Vincent and the others discover the truth and Dandridge kidnaps Amy for, slightly less defined reasons aside from the fact she looked like someone in one of Dandridge's paintings, it's up to Charley and Vincent to stop Dandridge once and for all.


If you're expecting a super gory movie like I was, you'll be let down. Oh there's some, but the movie opts for less up until the big finale. What I will applaud are the effects which all look amazing. Though the vampire grin on the vampirized Amy does look a bit silly. Props especially go to Ed transforming from wolf to human and the re-death of the undead Billy Cole. Not to mention the effects on Dandridge himself. I miss the focus on more practical horror effects. I think the cheese factor always adds to that. Just top notch stuff. Also, the atmosphere, from both the interior of Dandridge's house to just that classic eighties look and feel that I will always find a spot in these blogs to gush over. Nostalgia for something I was barely a year old for counts for something, right?

Our main character Charley is fine. Nothing outwardly wrong with him (despite being a bit too impulsive in wanting to have sex with Amy), but he ultimately feels there. It's interesting I use the R.L. Stine comment early since his portrayal reminds me of a Stine protagonist. Meant to be as much the avatar for the viewer than really a deep character in his own right. Amy is also fine, frustrated with Charley in his inability to really focus on her given he has the attention span of a gnat, and does end up just being the damsel by the end, but she's otherwise okay.


What sells the movie for me are two roles. Chris Sarandon as Jerry Dandridge and Roddy McDowell as Peter Vincent. Dandridge is a great villain. A very modernized (for the eighties) spin on a Dracula-like being. Sleek, charming, yet still very intense and frightening. Also, probably gay. Like, that's not just my theory, Charley's mom thinks it. Honestly, it feels more like he's interested in being with his zombie house boy Billy Cole than he really is seducing women to feast upon. Like, even when he feasts on Amy it doesn't feel like he's into it, more as a way to fuck with Charley. The movie seems to build a backstory to this but doesn't explain any connection to Amy and the portrait aside from the fact that it was someone he knew. Of course, this comes with the uncomfortable bit of his seduction of Amy and the eventual feasting which like, he's a vampire, he's the villain and all, but this is still a forty year old in a position with a literal teenager so I was more cringing at that scene. 

And then there's Peter Vincent. Roddy McDowell, to no surprise, is incredible in the role, giving off exactly what Peter Vincent should be. A world class bullshitter. Willing to go along with making Charley think that he's a great vampire killer despite being paid for it. His fear and paranoia once he realizes that not only is Charley right, but now his own life is in peril and he's terrified, makes his ultimate arc of the realization that it wasn't just a character, that ultimately he is that great vampire killer so worthwhile. I like how the movie builds the concept of faith, in that initially Peter Vincent can't use the cross on Dandridge because he doesn't have faith. Though he was able to use it on Evil Ed, but I guess that's more of an in the moment thing and that Evil Ed was a vampire for what, a few minutes at that point? Semantics of an old movie I guess. 


Speaking of which, Evil Ed is great in that "the acting is so over the top both before and after he becomes a vampire" way. A perfect obnoxious character that you don't feel too bad for given what happens to him by the end (though given the twist ending, maybe don't worry too much about Evil).


The movie wasn't a massive success in the box office, but did make 24 million off a 9 million budget, so it wasn't a total flop. Like I was talking about previously with The Princess Bride, this feels like a film that found its audience far easier outside of the theatre. Home video, TV, any other possible way to get the movie at the time is likely what gave it that cult classic status. Which I do feel is the perfect place for it given the movie setting itself around the concept of shlocky horror films that Peter Vincent would host. That beloved 80s movie that feels indicative of the DNA of that era. A perfect time capsule movie that holds up enough in that regard. Even if, again, that age gap concern involving Dandridge and Amy is a bit worrisome, especially as time has passed, making it honestly the only thing I find hasn't aged well. And yes, I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill on this, but it's also my blog and my feelings on that. 

So yeah, one issue aside, I liked Fright Night. There are some concerning bits (for me at least), and I do feel the plot kind of goes a bit all over the place by the end, but what works still works spectacularly. Fitting perfectly in with other movies of its type. And it being less a slasher film or a gore fest I think helped me like it more. Enough to give it that recommendation. There's not just a sequel to this, which I intend to cover eventually, but also a remake that also has a sequel. I'm at least curious about the remake given it's actually decently reviewed and the cast intrigues me, so I might not waffle on that one. But as for the original, it's still worth a watch in my eyes. Yeah, I guess it's true. You're so cool, Brewster.

Maybe if we had more Dandridge/Cole being a weird cute couple, it'd get a perfect rating. But what we got was aces.


RATING: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

#19: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023)

 I'm alive! As is this blog that I dropped the ball on last year, but hope to at least continue on this year with hopefully some improve...