Saturday, January 28, 2023

#08: The Princess Bride (1987)

 

I've said before that the main reason for this blog was to finally give me the motivation to watch the movies I've wanted to watch but didn't put in the energy to actually watch. I don't think any one movie so far fits that description better than The Princess Bride. A movie that has always been within my radar, but for one reason or the other, I've never put in the effort to actually sit down and watch. I think it boils down to just being my ADHD and focus more on video games and other media. Because I knew that it would be a movie I'd love when I finally watched it. And, lo and behold, after finally watching it, I hate it.

...I hate it that I waited so long to finally watch it because yep, that may be one of my favorite movies ever. 

Directed by Rob Reiner and smack dab in the middle of what could be considered his hot streak of films, the movie is based on the book of the same name by William Goldman. Reiner had grown up with the book and it was a passion project to finally direct an adaptation, only to learn that there had been attempts to adapt the story before, but nobody had any luck. Eventually Reiner managed to direct the film in 1987 and, to the man's credit, it is as close to a perfect adaptation as you could get. With a strong cast including Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Wallace Shawn, Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest, just to name a few. 

And, being the wrestling fan first and foremost, I can't forget that this movie also stars Andre the Giant as Fezzik. And that's partly why I chose to watch this now as the day I put this blog up will be thirty years since Andre's death. And while Andre's death was before my time in watching wrestling, watching this makes me miss him a lot. Just a uniquely charming individual who, even while this was when he was a heel in the WWF, comes off as absolutely lovable. 

The movie follows the events of the book, but structures the story around a grandfather (Peter Falk) telling his sick grandson (Fred Savage) the story. Given the history with the story being given to Rob by his father, having that be how the story is presented is a nice gesture and works as good story beats in between the actual story. I don't want to give too much away from this one even with it being over 35 years old at this point, but still. A girl named Buttercup falls in love with her farm boy Westley. Westley left to seek fortune overseas only to be killed by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Despite never loving another, Buttercup ends up as the bride to be by the prince of Florin, Prince Humperdink. However, she ends up kidnapped by three outlaws, Vizzini, Fezzik and Inigo Montoya, the latter two nowhere as evil as Vizzini, but probably smarter? However, they end up being chased by the Dread Pirate Roberts. We learn that Inigo is after a six-fingered man who killed his father 20 years ago, which is another important plot as the film progresses. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts turns out to be Westley all along, he and Buttercup patch things up, go through the fire swamp and survive Rats of Unusual Size. However, Prince Humperdink ends up with Buttercup again and Westley is tortured to death in the pit of despair. But he comes back to life thanks to Inigo and Fezzik who take him to Miracle Max (Billy Crystal) who brings Westley back to life, though his body limp and lifeless for a while. And so it's a madcap adventure to stop Prince Humperdink from marrying Buttercup, Inigo getting his revenge and that Butterchup and Westley finally get their happy ending. All while the grandson begins to enjoy the story more and more. 

I love how this movie looks. It definitely looks more like a set and matte paintings with a higher definition remaster like the version on Disney+ where I watched this, but aside from it being noticeable, it never took me out of it. I love the cliffs of insanity, the fire swamp, the pit of despair. Just that old time medieval movie set aesthetic that I've always really loved. Not to mention the gorgeous shots taken from filming in parts of England. Beautiful green valleys overseeing the countryside and the ocean. Simply breathtaking. I also love the makeup and effects for Miracle Max and his wife, for the Albino, and the whole medieval feel of the movie. The word "pretty" just takes space in my head. Makes this whole review feel more dumbed down, but I think it's the truest compliment I can give the film as well. Also the ROUS designs are legitimately freaky. But the one thing I liked the most is the concept of the Dread Pirate Roberts. That it had become more a title than an actual person by the time Westley gained it. Which fits in the given context of the story being a story handed down from generation to generation. A very clever way of executing that concept.

So, what didn't I like? I can't say I disliked much, but I guess I'd say I do feel the movie does sort of slog a bit in the middle. Honestly I loved the beginning stuff more involving Vizzini, Fezzik and Inigo, and the fact we move on to the Humperdink stuff not long after that is a shame. Granted, I don't think it's a slog that really hurts things either, but it does feel like we're stretching to make it to the 90+ minute mark at times. And, I don't know, there's this feel of a lack of finality to the ending. It's still a solid ending, and the swerve of not killing Humperdink is one I actually approve of, even if technically Westley would be in the right to do so given he was literally killed by Humperdink. There's just this feel of "everything's said and done, so that's the end" that I feel really mixed on. And even these are gripes at best as I really struggle to think of the things I didn't like here.

In terms of box office, the movie made 30 million on a 16 million budget. This is definitely a case of a movie finding its audience through home video rentals and movie channels. Even if I hadn't watched it in full before, it's one of those movies I know aired a lot on syndicated television, giving it a chance to find its audience. So by that extension, it's a perfect example of a cult classic movie. Under the radar initially but found a dedicated fanbase not long after. And that, honestly is one of the best honors that most movies can get. 

So, like I said before, I hate that I didn't watch this movie sooner. I knew most of the quotes and some of the moments beforehand, but it's a case where knowing much of it didn't deter my first viewing either. The context just helped it out. I really liked this movie and feel that it holds up spectacularly as this almost universal story that fits in any decade or setting. We're in desperate need of more of these kinds of swashbuckling adventure comedies. If you haven't seen it before, give it a watch however you can. Would I be down to watching it again sometime? As you wish.


Rating: ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

#19: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023)

 I'm alive! As is this blog that I dropped the ball on last year, but hope to at least continue on this year with hopefully some improve...